- To motivate people toward research with sound theoretical and practical knowledge of mathematics.
- To make up the shortage of professional mathematics teachers.
- To establish the base for lifelong education by creating essential concepts and equipping the students with necessary techniques needed to start careers in teaching, research, and/or in any walk of life involving mathematics.
- To prepare students to learn the concrete ideas of mathematics, to analyze problems critically, and to develop problem-solving skills.
- To encourage students to become effective independent learners.
- To encourage students to work in groups to get quick, true results.
- 24 credit hour coursework will be carried out in first two semesters, 12 credit hours in each semester.
- 6 credit hours of research will be carried out in last two semesters.
The degree of MPhil in Mathematics will be awarded if the student:
- Obtain at least 50% marks in each course.
- Maintains at least CGPA 2.5.
- Qualifies the University Comprehensive Examination.
* The University reserves the right to change/ revise any course(s) with the approval of Academic Council at any time.
Scheme of Studies
In the 1st semester, 3 courses of 4 credit hours each will be offered;
the courses will be selected from the group of foundation courses.
Again, 3 courses of 4 credit hours each will be offered in the 2nd semester;
the courses will be selected from the group of specialized courses.
|Foundation Courses||Specialized Courses|
|Course Title||Credits||Course Title||Credits||Course Title||Credits|
|Advance Linear Algebra||4||Commutative Algebra||4||Calculus on Time Scale||4|
|Advanced Group Theory||4||Numerical Methods||4||Operator Theory||4|
|General Topology||4||Algebraic Number Theory||4|
|Advanced Analysis||4||Algebraic Topology||4|
|Analytic Number Theory||4||Integral Equations||4|
|Lie Algebra||4||Graph Theory||4|
|Theory of Differential Equations||4||Algebraic Geometry||4|
|Algebra-I||4||Field Extensions and Galois Theory||4|
|Computational Linear Algebra||4||Lie Groups||4|
|Advanced Mathematical Physics||4||Convex Analysis||4|
|Advanced Partial Differential Equations||4||Advanced Topology||4|
|Advanced Functional Analysis||4||Algebra-II||4|
|Topology and Geometry of Manifolds||4|
|Theory of Spline Functions||4|
|Numerical Solution of PDEs||4|
|Comprehensive Examination Fee (at the time of Exam )||3,000/-|